Thursday, March 09, 2006

Thursday Thoughts

I've got plans to get together with friends for dinner and the Sopranos premier this Sunday, so I won't be able to attend Kirby Puckett's memorial service at the dome. I was there with Mike Hyland and my parents after the 1987 ALCS when the Twins returned from Detroit, and the team was blown away by the SRO crowd. I think it will be similar on Sunday, especially with people like Cal Ripken and Bob Costas supposedly showing up for it. I wrote a little about Puck over at another blog. I guess I'll just have to tape the memorial service.


I just don't understand this one bit!!! If you allow pharmacists to decide whether they want to prescribe something, where do you draw the line? Racist surgeons who refuse to operate on minorities? Medicine should be completely separate from religion! Unless they're living in Ave Maria, of course.

Library Stuff
The coursework in library school was a bit different back in thirties! I probably would have flunked this exam, and not just because it's Canuck-centric. Some of my favorite questions:

*Explain any three of the following: voucher, budget, quorum, debenture.
*Assess the scope and value of national bibliography using any one country as an illustration.
*Describe the development of printing in Italy in the fifteenth century.
* "We owe the alphabet to the Semites, the vowels to the Greeks and the letter forms as well as the transmission of the alphabet to the Romans." Discuss this statement.

Fun reference questions from the past few days:
-What does RMS on a ship mean (i.e. RMS Titanic)? Royal Mail Ship- carrying British mail
-Do you have Civil War-era journals with articles about cannons? American Periodicals Series has tons of full-text articles from 1740-1900. God bless technology!
-I need information about fishing guides' salaries.
What county is Merritt Island, FL located in? How do I get a copy of a marriage license?

Funny questions from a little while back:
-Do you have the book Reading Polite in Texas? (She was looking for Reading Lolita in Tehran)
-
Do you have the book by Dorris McCullough called Prosperity- letters to children? (She was looking for Dorie McCoullough Lawson's Posterity- letters of great Americans to their children)


1 Comments:

At 3/14/2006 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Flanimorpigan-
I remember going to that Dome thing in 87' super clearly. Maybe that's because it almost predates our first drinking days... Did Gary Gietti get the MVP at that deal?
Hyland

 

Post a Comment

<< Home