Sunday, June 11, 2006

It could all change in a moment...

Anyone watching the news Saturday night in the Twin Cities would have seen a story about a car accident that killed two people in St. Paul. The Pioneer Press and Star Tribune newspapers covered the story, as well.

My beautiful neice Julia and both of her grandmas were in the Pontiac Montana that was involved in the crash. Thankfully, they're all OK.

Mary Ann (my sister-in-law's mother) was driving, and my mom was in the passenger seat. Julia was in her car seat in the back. They were on their way to the hospital, to go see their brand-new granddaughter. They were heading north on Snelling Avenue, ready to turn right onto Concordia, in order to take I-94 into downtown St. Paul. There was a "CRASH!" that my mom said sounded like an explosion, and suddenly there were two cars skidding & spinning towards them. Mary Ann had the presence of mind to step on the gas, and avoid the Camry, that would have smashed into the side of the car, which my mom is positive would have killed them all. While they were able to avoid the Camry, the Ciera caught the front of their vehicle, spinning them into a light pole.

My mother is bruised and sore, but that's really the extent of their injuries, thanks to some great reflexes and a super-safe vehicle. Remind me to never again bad-mouth SUVs!

The Oldsmobile Ciera was sitting at the stop light at Snelling, when the Camry came up the exit ramp full speed (witnesses estimate 60-65). The driver of the Camry claims his brakes weren't working. The Camry sideswiped one car, then rear-ended the Ciera. The back seat of the Ciera was pretty much squashed, and two people were killed.

It's a horrible tragedy, and I feel for the families involved. But mostly, I feel relief. While Dave and Cathy were at the hospital, basking in the glow of their beautiful new baby Esme (Yes! She has a name!), both of their mothers and their daughter were nearly killed. Can you imagine that phone call? Absolutely horrifying.

This incident helped put things into perspective for me (as it should). Don't forget to tell your mom (et al) you love her. You never know...

1 Comments:

At 6/12/2006 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Jon. That is seriously scary. I am so glad everyone is OK on your end.
It is amazing how easy it is to take life for granted. I swear I spend half my time in a daze. Balancing my checkbook in my head. Wrapped up in my own crap. Sadly, it sometimes takes absolute tragedy to snap us back into seeing whats truly important. Births of beautiful new babies can do it as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home