Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Reality check

I'll write more about the City by the Bay later- lots of good pictures to post. Right now, I'm just trying to make it through the day. Our plane departed San Francisco at 12:30 AM, and landed in Minneapolis at 6 AM Central time. I had time to take a quick nap, then head to the library to work until 5:00.

A cute old Russian man came up to the desk this morning, and handed me a slip of paper. "Does everything look good?" Written on the piece of paper was "Your letter was horific and wonderful." I told him I was pretty sure horrific had 2 r's, and I pulled out a dictionary to double-check. He asked what horrific meant, and wasn't happy with my response. He seemed to be looking for something with more of a positive connotation. "Sir, are you thinking of the word 'terrific?'" Bingo. What a pain in the butt it must be to learn English.

2 Comments:

At 5/30/2006 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you made it home safely. Thanks so much for coming to visit this week. I had so much fun. Miss you already. Get some sleep tonight...

 
At 6/01/2006 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That story of the cute old Russian man was horrific, wait I mean terrific. no...I had right the first time horrific. Although I do feel for the pinko, I used to call soup - clothes in Spain and I knew a guy who use to call chicken - cock instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home