Thursday, June 15, 2006

A moment of silence, please...

I just found out that my trusty 1989 Dodge Caravan will be making a trip to the great parking lot in the sky. This vehicle served me well for the past 1 1/2 years, after 15 productive years with the Butchert family. I had hoped ol' Rusty would just get me through the winter of '04/'05, and he made it through 2 winters like a champ.

I actually got a double dose of vehicle hijinks this morning. On the way to work, motoring down 394, the van started coughing and lurching, the telltale signs of running out of gas. I knew I was low, but thought I had another gallon or two in the tank. Luckily, I was near the Louisiana Avenue exit, and I got over just in time. My van jerked up to the top of the ramp, then died as I turned right onto Louisiana. I coasted down the hill in neutral, and was able to turn the corner before my momentum ran out. Have you ever tried pushing a van by yourself? Not fun. Especially trying to push & steer at the same time. Luckily, two young guys jumped out of a car and helped me out.

I got the thing gassed up, and jumped back onto 394 in a state of elation- what a close call! Talk about timing! I should have been stranded on the side of the freeway! This feeling lasted approximately 3 minutes, as the van started acting funny on the Ridgedale Drive exit ramp. I was on the phone with Jen at the time, and said "Oh shit! I'm pretty sure I have a flat. Gotta go."

I pulled into the Ridgedale Shopping Center parking lot, and got out to survey the damage. Huh? All four tires looked fine. Hmmm...what was making that sound? I got back in, and started driving. Oh, boy- this felt a lot worse than a flat! Think of metal on metal- very, very unpleasant. A grinding, grating feeling & sound, coming from the front of the vehicle. Axle? Transmission?

I got a call from the garage a little while ago, and it needs a couple ball joints, wheel bearings, blah, blah, blah...in other words, $1200 to get the car "driveable." So long, sucka! Been good knowing you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home