Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Spring Has Sprung

It's 59 and sunny in the Twin Cities right now, which feels awesome. There's no feeling that compares with the emergence of spring in the Midwest. Walking outside in shorts or a t-shirt for the first time in six months, leaving work and enjoying an hour or two of daylight, seeing the flora start to awaken from its slumber- it's enough to make you want to write a poem or something.

Andy and Jessica Madigan had their baby on Saturday- Liam Andrew Madigan. An April Fool's Day baby- I wonder if he'll be a prankster... I haven't seen any pictures yet, but I'm sure they're coming. Actually, it's interesting to notice the difference between baby #1 and baby #2 when it comes to updating Web sites, emailing photographs, etc. The same thing happened in my family- my brothers were 2 years apart, and then I came along 5 1/2 years later. There are tons of pictures of them growing up together, but only a handful after I arrived. I guess the novelty wears off.

In honor of the nice weather, I dusted off the running shoes, and went jogging yesterday for the first time in a long time- September? It felt great to get out there, but my poor asthmatic lungs were not happy at all. I only went about a mile or so, but I was wheezing like crazy. I'll just have to ease my way back into it. In addition, my legs are sore as hell today. I got a jump start on the season last year, as I was running around Lake Calhoun in January and February. I'm guessing I won't be able to whup Dave and Mal in the Melpomene 5K this year.

Jen and I headed to Adrian's Bar & Grill on Chicago to grab a bite to eat and watch the Twins drop their opener to the Blue Jays. I was surprised to see good beer on tap: Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Guinness, and Newcastle, to name a few. "I assume you guys aren't just a 3.2 joint anymore?" I asked the waitress. "Nope" was the reply. How friggin cool is that? I used to stop by Adrian's after shifts at the Chicago Deli, and play Addams Family pinball, but I've never ordered a beer there before, since 3.2 beer tastes like crap.

They even had a special on Stella Artois- $3.25 for a 20 oz glass! Methinks we'll be hitting this neighborhood watering hole quite often. They also have Galaga machine, and the place is walking distance from home.

1 Comments:

At 4/13/2006 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Running outside is the shit! It beat the treadmill any given day.

Stella Artois is referred to as "wife beater" in the UK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home